[OZAPRS] VK HF Gates

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Wed Jul 12 21:28:50 EST 2006

Yes there is a 40mtr allocation at 7036Khz LSB.

This frequency was tested for a time. It provided great night time
coverage
and good 'close in' daytime coverage but limited day time coverage for
distant Mobiles. (Most people travel during the day.)

I think there is still a ZL Gate running on 40mtrs as it's a great band
for
a small country, 30mtrs is more suited to VK. However that should not stop
anyone from organising and running an APRS 40mtr network as I'm sure it
would get a lot of use. Especially with the new VK licence classes.

>From memory I think the 30mtr band gave us an approximate range of 500Km
1500Km during the day and 40mtrs provided a range of approximately 500Km
or
700Km per day depending on conditions. Some one with more HF experience
may
be able to give better figures.

If you have a 40mtr Gate in each capital city, one in Alice Springs, the
North West and the North East you would have most of Australia covered.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK

VK6HGR