[OZAPRS] Decoding HF APRS

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Sun Jul 9 09:56:08 EST 2006

The tuning of HF packet is critical down to about 20Hz or so. Most Amateur
HF radios are not calibrated to this level of accuracy on their frequency
readouts.

Using the same type of TNCs, it's fair to say that your frequency read out
may read 10.147.60 and mine may read 10.147.68 yet our stations are
communicating with each other.

What the read out on your radio says is not that important, it's just a
guide. What is -most- important is that we can communicate to each other.

In VK the Primary Net station is VK3MY-4. If you can communicate with him
or
one of the Secondary Net stations that have tuned to VK3MY-4's signal you
are on the correct frequency to communicate to all other HF APRS station
in
VK/ZL.

Visit http://www.aprs.net.au/hf_aprs_information.htm for details.

(If you find any of the information on the web page incorrect please email
me)

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK