[OZAPRS] F calls

Craig Turner craig at craigturner.id.au
Sat Jul 1 09:47:51 EST 2006

Hi,

That was my understanding as well, and to my mind its one of the draw
backs to the new licencing system.

I think a lot of people who are in to computers etc would be attracted
to the data comms aspect of amateur radio. There is also probably a lot
of people out there who are well qualified in various aspects of
information technology, but perhaps not immediately prepared to spend
the time studying for a standard or full call. I think the ability to
play data comms would be a great way of introducing them to the hobby.
Probably more challenging and interesting than yacking on the local
repeater, or going for DX on 2m SSB.

And to be honest there was nothing in the standard test (when I did it,
which was the last weeks of the old novice test) that tested for, nor
prepared people for data modes, yet that was my predominant interest!

I understand that there is an argument that not allowing data modes is
an incentive for people study and get their standard or full call, but
personally I don't think that a lot of new comers will think like that.
What will get them interested is playing around with PSK31 on 80m and
then wishing they could talk to the world, listening to 20m PSK31 and
hearing all the conversations happening there, so then they will want to
upgrade.

Regards
Craig
VK1HCT

Richard Hoskin wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> You're correct, F??? calls are not allow data privileges.
>
> This has come up a few times at local clubs and foundation licence
> examination sessions.
>
> Cheers
> Richard
> VK3JFK