[OZAPRS] APRS Internet Servers vs local firewall

Richard Murnane Richard.Murnane at internode.on.net
Sun Dec 24 19:16:01 EST 2006

Hi all,

Christmas etc greetings to all on the list... I'd be pleased if you'd
indulge me with what may be a silly question (or one that may have
been answered some time before I managed to trash my email archives :-)

After a period of several months inactivity, I fired up Xastir to
find that the Internet server settings don't seem to be working any
more. For example, starting first.aprs.net.au:14579 (or any other
previously working server) reports an error. Further, if I go to
http://aprs.net.au and click on the first.aprs.net.au link (http://
first.aprs.net.au:14501/) the web browser reports "server stopped
responding".

Same thing if I got to www.aprs-is.net, so it's not a problem
peculiar to aprs.net.au. I suspect my firewall settings are to blame,
but I'm not sufficiently au fait with it yet to finger the exact
setting.

Would anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks!

73 Richard VK2SKY