[OZAPRS] Radio Photos - antique store

Rendrag Rendrag
Sun Aug 27 19:47:45 EST 2006

Since Andrew just brought up the topic of old equipment, I thought I'd
pose
a question I've been mulling over for the last hour, to the list..

Running a webhosting/colocation company from home has always made my home
contents insurance 'interesting' - the NRMA always want to know why the
'computers' and 'tools of trade' sections of my contents policy are about
equal to the whole of the rest of the policy, and I then have to explain
about the racks of servers, UPS's, aircon, generator, test equipment, ham
radio gear, etc.. Once explained, they're quite ok with it, especially
once
I explain the security on the garage (kinda hard to pick the lock on a set

of large solenoids controlled by a proximity rfid sensor, with no external

show of how the door is secured..)  Never really had much of an issue, as
most of my gear is only 10 years old at the most, so the price difference
between what I paid for it, and what I need to insure it for with the
new-for-old stuff isn't a huge issue..

But this evening I bought a rather old spectrum analyser - does 10MHz -
40GHz, so quite decent..  It's all valves, with what I assume at first
glance are a couple of large tunable cavities..  Now I only paid $60 for
it
on ebay, since it weighs in at 60kg, and was a local-pickup-only item, and

needs a ~300W 110V step-down transformer (anyone got any ideas where to
get
one 'cheap'? :) )..  But the 'new' replacement price of such a piece of
equipment, I would guess, is going to be a HEAP more than that (Around
$20-30k?? unless they've come down incredibly since we bought one while I
was working at Bendigo TAFE..).  How do other folks on the list handle
insuring their 'older' bits of test gear and ham equipment, that would
cost
a fortune to replace 'new'?  Or is this particular item one that I'm
better
talking to the NRMA about? :)

Cheers,

Damien