[OZAPRS] UIViewV2.39 (16 bit) bad packet formation?

vk4hma at mac.com vk4hma at mac.com
Mon Aug 21 13:35:40 EST 2006

Many thanks for the feedback messages. The problem is half fixed now
and was a combination of several strange problems, two still
unresolved. Long email, but  in summary.

+ Local Digi wouldn't see me. (Solved - Deviation)

+ Local Digi wouldn't pass on my packets (still sorting out paths)

+ Kenwood D700A in car would not see posit packets from my base
station. (Unresolved, the Kenwood will NOT display a position report
for ANY other station that uses the same callsign as itself but with
a different ID.)

Base Station
==========
I had previously tuned the deviation of the radio with another
handheld comparing audio levels, etc, and have been able to use this
tuned setup to access a local bulletin board, so I believed all was
close to ideal. Prior to posting my message here, I had tried every
combination of audio deviation, all clockrate compensations, audio
levels, baud rates for the software, etc, to make sure if was not an
obvious stuffup.

But Deviation it was. Basically, to get my local digi to see me..

+ Needed to turn the input volume WAY ABOVE what I would expect to,
and is now on the verge of distortion, however my local Wide can now
see me reliably.
+Changed my path to Relay, Wide, Wide (temporarily) to at least get
data from my QSL to an iGATE.  (Not sure WHY I have to do this, when
a simple "Relay,Wide" from my car gets me all the way to a Gate.)

Kenwood
========
But there was still that problem of the Kenwood. The Kenwood 700A as
previously mentioned could see all packets, and reliably decoded
everything including position packets, EXCEPT it refused to _display_
any acknowledgement of any VK4HMA packet.

I have found that my Kenwood D700A refuses to display any position
packet that uses my call sign that did not originate from itself.
I.e. If my Kenwood sends out a VK4HMA-9 posit, and it is digipeated,
I get an "OWN Position", however if my base station sends a posit for
"VK4HMA" and it's digipeated... nothing.... it's decoded on the
Kenwood because I can see it in the on screen terminal on the unit,
but it refuses to display any acknowledgment that it received that
packet, not on the screen, nor in it's station list.

Send a message or any OTHER type of packet from my base station to
the Kenwood, either direct or digipeated, and it's all happy, and
smiling.

Strange indeed. So this caused problems in diagnosing my FIRST problem.

Andrew (Rich), do you see this problem?

Thanks

Andrew