[OZAPRS] APRS Paths and beacon rates

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Thu Apr 27 19:40:23 EST 2006

Gday,

Just taking a quick glance at the APRS traffic passing down my screen I
noticed a number of paths and beacon rates that are incorrect;

VK2HIM-7 has a path of ,WIDE2-2,RELAY,APRSAT it should be RELAY,WIDE2-2

VK2TSB-3 has a path of RELAY,WIDE3-3 It should be RELAY,WIDE2-2 at the
most
as he is hitting the IGate in 2 digi hops.

VK2TSB-2's beacon rate is also set to 30 seconds. This will cause lots of
problems for other users of the RF network in Sydney & Canberra

VK1NFI has a path of WIDE3-3. I don't know why? When he is in direct RF
contact with the local IGate. A path of <his local digi>,WIDE would be
more
than adequate for great local coverage.

VK3HV-9 has a path of RELAY,WIDE2-2 This is not needed when his 2 local
IGates are both just 2 digi hops away. A path of  RELAY,WIDE would give
him
great coverage through out all VK3, VK5 & VK1.

VK2SX-9 on HF has a beacon rate set to about 1 minute with a path of
WIDE3-3. This will not work well for him at all. His path must be
GATE,WIDE
and beacon rate set to 5 minutes minimum.

These where just a few of the poorly configured APRS stations I noticed,
there's a lot more of them.

If you know the operators of the above or see any of your mates with poor
APRS configurations please help them to correctly set up their APRS
station.

Paths and Beacon rates are important for a functionally great APRS
network.

They will be even more important when are all on the one channel.

Visit www.aprs.net.au <http://www.aprs.net.au/>  for more information.

Cheers

Richard

VK3JFK