[OZAPRS] APRS in SE Queensland

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Tue Oct 18 21:09:30 EST 2005

Hi Andrew,

Here is a summary of APRS in VK that Ron VK4BRG put together late last
year.
It would be worth while for people to keep this up to date for the benefit
of all.

It everyone can send me information on the status in there state I'll
compile it and put it on the national web site.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK

--------------------------------------
Hi all,
         I think we all would have noted, with interest, the recent
expansion of APRS VHF coverage via digi's. No doubt locals are aware of
coverage and features in their area, but what about travellers from afar?
         I propose a nation wide list, state by state, giving general
details of VHF APRS coverage and undertake to organize that information.
The following is "off the top of my head" and needs input from others to
remove the question marks, give further input, corrections and updates.
Some updates from VK2, VK3, VK5  been included so far. Need updates from
other areas .. and help in removing the question marks. Please forward
them
to me and I'll keep the file updated.

Frequency is 145.175 MHz unless otherwise noted.

VK1.
VK1RBM-1  appears under VK2. ? Coverage around Canberra.
Igate, HF gate, digi path for travellers - as per VK2.

VK2.
The Southern NSW APRS network has coverage from just south of Newcastle to
south of Wollongong, and out along the Hume Highway into VK1 and to the
VK3
border.
Digipeaters in the southern region:
VK2RAG-1: Gosford
VK2JPJ-1: Sydney CBD
VK2AMW-1: Wollongong Region
VK2AMW-2: Batemans Bay Region (Currently off air)
VK2RSW-1: Western Sydney
* VK2RHR-1: High Range (Planned)
VK1RBM-1: Canberra
* VK2RGN-1: Goulburn (Planned)
VK2CSU-1: Wagga
I gates - VK2XJG Sydney Metro, VK2RAW Wagga, VK2TDG Canberra..
HF gate - No.  Suggested digi path for travellers - APRS via RELAY,WIDE3-3

There are pockets of APRS activity up the coast around Forster and further
North, however these isolated networks are on local packet frequencies,
with
no I-gate to link them into the national grid.
Updated Oct. 04 .. thanks Geoff VK2XJG

VK3
MELBOURNE / GENERAL VK3 .. frequency 144.9 MHz . VK3 has 20 full time VHF
digipeaters and 2 full time UHF digipeaters.  All but VK3RON-1 and
VK3WRM-1
(Mildura region) are on 144.900Mhz. UHF is on 439.100Mhz in eastern
Melbourne. Mt Gambier (VK5MOO) is part of the VK3 144.9 network along with
VK2RO-1 (Tocumwal). Coverage ..
see  http://vk3.aprs.net.au/digipeater_information.htm    General coastal
coverage from VK5 to VK2 border together with general coverage from north
west through to north east of Melbourne as far as the VK2 border at
Tocumwal
and Albury. The system works on a cellular/zone basis.
I gate - yes.  HF gate - VK4MY. Digi path for mobiles - RELAY,WIDE. The
VK3
APRS VHF network tends to expand at about 2 to 3 new digis per year.
Update
Oct 04 - VK3JFK

MILDURA .. Currently 2 regional UI DIGIs. I'm experimenting with the
VK3WRM-4 VHF Igate digi off. VK3WRM-1 which covers the Sturt Hwy to
Robinvale and the Calder Hwy to Hattah. And locally around Mildura.
VK3RON-1 which covers the Calder from Hattah in the North, to Mittyack to
the SE. The Sunraysia Hwy to Speed in the South. And the Mallee Hwy from
Kulwin in the East to Underbool in the West. The VK3WRM-4 Igate (UI-View
DIGI is currently turned off) will cover 30km to the West along the Sturt.

On the Silver City Hwy to the North has not been tested, but is OK to
Wentworth, but it would be expected to cover further North, around 30km
from
Mildura.The expansion of the network is planned to include a UIDIGI at
Robinvale, which would expect to extend the coverage along the Sturt and
Murray Valley Hwys by 40km, (and make the path between Ouyen and Mildura
more reliable) and a UIDIGI at Lake Culluleraine in the West, which is
hoped
to extent the coverage of the Sturt Hwy to the West to 80km from Mildura.
I gate - ?. HF gate - VK3ECV. Suggested VHF PATH for this region will be
RELAY,WIDE2-2 for Mobiles, although RELAY,WIDE or WIDE2-2 would work
currently.  For HF, GATE is the only way to go.  Update Oct.-04 - thanks,
VK3ECV

VK4
BRISBANE .. ?  digi Gold Coast .. apparently off air, digi Sunshine coast,
digi Towoomba giving coverage from Springwood in the south to ? Nambour
and
west to Towoomba. The coverage of the Towoomba digi from north, through
west
to south of Towoomba needs to be determined.
I-gate - yes. HF gate - 4DMI. Suggested digi path for travellers - ?

GLADSTONE .. one digi giving coverage from Gladstone in the east, a
section
of the Bruce Highway west to Bileola and a section of the Burnett Highway.

highway sections to be defined.
I-gate -?. HF gate - no. Suggested digi path for travellers - ?

CENTRAL HIGHLANDS .. frequency 144.725 (part of old packet network) digi
Blackdown Tablelands, digi Hodsons Range, digi Blue Mtn. gives coverage
over
a broad corridor from Emerald north to, and including the Mackay area ..
nicely covers the Peak Downs Highway, The Blackdown digi covers the
Capricorn Highway from Emerald east to ? Westwood. Apparently there is one
way coverage from Rockhampton into this digi.
I-gate - no. HF gate - 4CLM. Suggested digi path for travellers - ?

VK5
ADELAIDE .. ? digi's. Coverage -- general rule - 100kms radius of
Adelaide.
I-gate - yes. HF gate - intermittent (on request) operation ..VK5AH. As
far
as a path for travelers RELAY,WIDE is OK but wont always get you to an
Igate
reliably.. RELAY,WIDE2-2 is best or RELAY,WIDE,WIDE even .. If people are
traversing to and from VK3 then a path change is suggested or just settle
on
RELAY,WIDE which works most of the time. Update Oct 04. VK5AH

Mt. GAMBIA .. frequency 144.9 MHz (part of VK3 network) VK5MOO is digi
giving coverage ? KMs radius Mt. Gambia.
I gate and HF gate as per VK3 network.  Suggested digi path for travellers
- as per VK3 network.
Update Oct 04. - VK3JFK

VK6.
Info required.

VK7.
Hobart area .. understand coverage ? kms radius of Hobart.
I gate - ? HF gate - ? Digi path for travellers  - ?

Ulverstone area .. ? on request VK7AX (was early 2004). Coverage (from
memory) .. along coast from Devonport to Burnie.
I gate - ?. HF gate - ?. Digi path - ?

VK8.
Darwin area .. VK8ZJZ-1 digi. ? kms radius of Darwin.
I gate - VK8ZJZ-4. HF gate - ?. Digi path for travellers - ?.

Regards, Ron, VK4BRG.