[OZAPRS] VK3 APRS News

Richard Hoskin (VK3JFK) vk3jfk at wia.org.au
Sat Oct 1 10:48:21 EST 2005

Gday,

Here is the latest news for APRS in VK3.

*	The Frequency change project has slowed due to delays in getting 2
digipeaters licensed for the new frequency. We are still waiting for the
ACMA.

*	The digipeater VK3JFK-1 (Mt Alexander) went off air on the 28th of
September. It may be off for some time due to site access difficulties
with
current construction work at the site. The digipeater VK3RBH-1 has be
turned
back on to provide some coverage for the area.

*	The digipeater VK3RGI-1 at Carrajung will be off air for some time
as new equipment is being sourced for the site.

*	SAMAIL the new email / APRS Gateway server is working well. A
number
of stations have been sending and receiving emails & APRS messages. The
serve however will occasionally lock up, so if you message does not get
through after a few tries please email me. I'm working on a fix for this.

*	As you may have read we saw one Emergency Beacon this week.

*	The emergency beacon is similar to a PAN or SOS voice call. When
an
emergency beacon is received by other APRS stations alert the operator and
provide the station with location information associated with the
transmitter of the beacon. If the receiving station is running an APRS
enabled Kenwood hand held or mobile radio the radio will produce an
audible
alarm and display the bearing of the station sending the emergency beacon.
If an emergency beacon is received by an APRS home station the stations
display may automatically zoom into the emergency beacons location and
sound
a alarm. As the APRS system is linked international it is possible that a
local emergency beacon will trigger thousands of APRS station alarms
around
the globe. This is a powerful feature of APRS and is required to be used
appropriately.

*	So more station can see emergency beacons I'll upload the UI-View
Emergency add-on to the vk3.aprs.net.au web page.

Cheers,

Richard

VK3JFK