[OZAPRS] New Digi for Mt Gambier

Peter vk3tbn vk3tbn at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 23:23:08 EST 2005

Craig,

  Good question, and your quite correct. VK3 is on an a different
frequency than the other states. This came about, as I understand it by
VK3 using an old Packet Digi service before a national freq was agreed.
Soon VK3 will cahnge to the new Freq, Richard VK3JFK will have to change
the freqs of all the digis in VK3.

  Why would the VK5 Digi use the VK3 Freq? My guess is that as there is no
APRS Digi backbone to Mt Gambier from Adelaide, it is easier for then to
turn their antenna east and link into VK3, which has a better coverage in
that area and extends all the Area traffic to Mt Gambier, including some
of the Melbourne TFC.

  Regards

  Pete
  VK3TBN

Craig Turner <craig at craigturner.id.au> wrote:
  Hi,

Pardon my ignorance, I'm a newcomer to APRS, but how come this is on
144.900, rather than 145.175. I'd understood that 145.175 was the
national 'standard' for APRS.

Regards
Craig