[OZAPRS] Silly UIView question :)

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Sun Mar 27 17:22:50 EST 2005

Hi Damien,

Have you checked the following ;

the TNCs PTT led is lite when you beacon,

your antenna SWR is OK,

you can connect to the digi and do the ‘I’ command (assuming that the digi
is running UIDIGI)

the cable to the TNC & radio are is ok

the radio is on the right band,

the deviation for your radio is set correctly to 3.5Khz. ( this can be a
hidden gotcha)

your TNC is in command mode,

UI-View can talk to the TNC in terminal mode,

RS-232 hand shaking is set correctly on the TNC and in UI-View.

There’s probably more but that’s just of the top of my head and in no
particular order.

By the way I have had reports from travellers on the Hume that the Black
Mountain digi has a signal that sounds ‘bad’ and they can not decode it
very often on a D700, even with good signal strength. Not sure what the
problem is (deviation may be?) but just though I’d let you know.

Good luck.

Cheers

Richard

VK3JFK

connected

> one of the serial ports (I've got a nice 4-port stallion board) into the

> back of the MFJ, and installed UIView32.  Setup the Comms settings,

> downloaded a .au map, and off it went showing stations on the map, happy

> as

> larry.

> Right, I thought, let's ssh into the Igate, and make sure my packets are

> making it out onto RF..  No go!  When I hit 'send beacon', it's keying
up

> the transceiver, so it's definitely transmitting..  I've got clear line
of

> sight to the WIDE on black mountain, and I'm hearing packets from the

> Igate

> (which is running 500mW, since it's got clear line one of sight to the

> WIDE

> also), so you'd think I could get into either of them on 50W..

> Hoping I've just missed some simple setting in uiview - I've got my

> unproto

> port set to 1, and unproto string set to APRS,WIDE3-3.. Is there
something