[OZAPRS] VK5 network news

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Tue Mar 15 20:45:26 EST 2005

Hi Peter,

All the main VK3 APRS Digipeaters have battery backup power which will
supply power to the digipeaters for 24 to 48hrs. Depending on traffic
levels.

We are also running a program to deploy SiteAlert (a site monitor and
alarm
system developed locally) to all main digipeater sites.

SiteAlert alarms on mains failure (can even provides an email and SMS to a
mobile), and provides APRS telemetry data for battery volts, temperature
and
digipeater load (ptt counter). As well it provides a low voltage cut-out
protect the battery and stop spurious transmissions from the transmitter.

You can use UI-View's UI-History telemetry feature to decode & monitor the
telemetry from SiteAlert or you can view the telemetry in graph formats on
the VK3 APRS site (once the server is back up and running) or on FindU.

See the URL below as an example.

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/tele1.cgi?call=vk3cv-1&last=96&param=2&b=0.1&
la
bel=Current Battery Voltage&units=volts&autorange=1

Currently SiteAlert is installed at VK3CV-1, VK3RMD-1 & VK3RGR-1. It will
soon be installed at VK3REB-1.

We have found SiteAlert to be of great assistance in APRS traffic
monitoring, alarming & tracking mains power failures at sites.

It has enabled us to provide a better quality of service to the APRS users
and would provide good information in an emergency.

It has also enabled us to provide service to the site owner by allowing us
to notify him automatically and quickly of problems at his site. This
allows
the owner to take action to keep other commercial equipment at the site
operational. It allows us to give back something to the site owner who
allows us to access to his site.

More information on SiteAlert can be found at http://www.aprs.net.au once
the APRS web server is back up and running.

Cheers
Richard.
VK3JFK