[OZAPRS] IGATEs

Tony Hunt wavetel at iname.com
Thu Mar 10 20:11:07 EST 2005

Hi Andrew .. Ok your comparing the Ui-Digi to a stand alone TNC as a Digi
..
Fair enough .. I cant think of too many real situations where the dupe
checking is a real issue except these ..

1: By nature of the beast most barfoot TNCs can only have one alias and
one
home callsign.. I guess you could set it up with a alias of RELAY and a
MYcall of WIDE but you probably wouldnt.. If you did and you had a problem
with it then its only you to blame.. It would get out of hand if folks
used
a path of RELAY,WIDE

2 So if a mobile used a path of RELAY,WIDE and you had the TNC setup with
alias of RELAY and a proper callsign on the Mycall it would respond to the
RELAY but not the WIDE. If a station was beaconing too often then there is
of course no dupe checking but shouldnt you talk to him about his beacon
timing instead of relying on dupe checking ? When it sees other digis
repeat
the frame even without callsign replacment (like itself)  it wont do
anything with it either as the digi flag has been set on the frame
signified
by the RELAY*,WIDE or CALLSIGN*,WIDE

3 If you set up the TNC with a alias of WIDE and stations used WIDE,WIDE
as
a path then you will have a real problem.. It will digi the first and
second
WIDE/WIDES if it hears them..

Andrew in regards to frame collisions ..
Have you looked at the Dwait command on older TNCs ? This was used on
older
firmware prior to Frack which later became a norm even with UI frame
digipeating ..

Anyway i think we agree basically..  I sometimes leave a TNC on here with
radio and RELAY as an alias if I switch all the computers off and go on
hols
maybee but not as a rule very often as its not the best situation..

Tony VK5AH