[OZAPRS] [aprssig] Degrees Minutes and APRS parser

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Dec 26 10:24:40 EST 2005

vk4tec at tech-software.net wrote:
> Gudday
>
> Working on a PERL to MySQL perl script for an Australian Experimantal
> Data Store
>
> I have got most of it working, in that I have callsigns and positions.
>
> I am getting the impression different systems use different
> co-ordinate formats.
>
> I am assuming from what I have seen that the degrees always stays the
> same.
>
> It is the bit after the decimal point that changes.
>
> I seem to have ended up with positions from the APRS stream in the
> format of deg minutes and seconds ???
>
> Wondering if there is some perl code floating around that converts deg
> min seconds to dec degrees ?
>
> My main use for this is google earth. Which seems to want decimal
degrees.

The default APRS format is the native format for NMEA GPS data --
Degrees, Minutes and decimal fractions of minutes (not degrees, minutes
and seconds and not degrees and decimal degrees).   If DD-MM-SS data is
appearing on the APRS Internet system, someone has incorrectly
configured a program or hardware device.

Note that DD MM.mm allows a slightly higher resolution than the classic
degs-mins-secs format for the same number of ASCII digits.  (Two digits
used for seconds resolves 1/60ths of a minute while two digits used for
decimal minutes resolves 1/100ths of a minute.)

The position relative to the equator and prime meridian should be
delimited by E/W and N/S rather than +/- degrees.     Thus a normal
APRS/NMEA posit would normally be transmitted or displayed as:
    39  09.84 N
  118  07.02 W         (My QTH in Pasadena, California)

Some programs, notably UIview, have the user input this into the program
setup somewhat confusingly as:
   39.09.84N
  118.07.02W

with TWO periods in the string but it is still    DD  MM.mm     format
-- NOT   DD.dddddd   all-decimal format or DD MM SS degs-minutes-seconds
formats.

I am also painfully aware of the nuisance of converting DD MM.mm to
all-decimal   DD.dddddd    format for several mapping applications I use
(notably MapPoint and MapInfo) but the math is trivial.   Divide the
MM.mm part by 60,  and add the results (which will always be a decimal
value less than 1.00) to the degrees part.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths

Updated APRS Symbol Chart