[OZAPRS] Uniden GPS301

Gavin Rogers grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au
Sun Aug 7 15:46:33 EST 2005

At 06:29 AM 7/08/2005, you wrote:

>Hi Gavin,
>
>I'm assuming you are running Windows something.
>
>Try tuning off the FIFO buffer on the new laptops serial port.
>Also check to see what com port number windows has allocated to your
serial
>port.
>
>Does the GPS require some kind of prompt to turn on?

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I would be perfectly happy with 9600 baud output except for the
TinyTracker3 only taking input at 4800 baud. I've used a few computers now

and the results are the same - perfect 9600 baud and garbled 4800 baud.

The Uniden GPS301 is a Sony IPS GPS in a Uniden case and a LED display to
show waypoints, red light cameras etc. The IPS is directly addressable
through the Uniden's serial port - i.e. I can issue @NC 00000000 and all
the NMEA output switches off. This all works at 9600 but not at 4800. The
(little) information I can read about the IPS GPS is that it's serial port

speed is set with jumpers, so I'm assuming the GPS301 firmware takes care
of setting those.

I don't have a CRO but can get my hands on one...

I've emailed Uniden to see if they can confirm if 4800 baud output should
work properly. Perhaps mine is faulty? <shrug>

73
Gavin.

---
       Gavin Rogers                     |  Amateur radio station VK6HGR
     http://www.livingwaters.com/good   |     http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
     ICQ: 17230395  MSN: VK6HGR  Skype/Email: grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au