[OZAPRS] Re: SSID's

Terry Neumann tfn at rbe.net.au
Sun Sep 19 21:43:06 EST 2004

I read Brian's original bulletin and the subsequent comments with
considerable interest.

However, like some of the others who have responded, I see some
difficulties, and it seems to me that the 15 numbers we have at our
disposal are not being very well or thoughtfully utilised if the suggested
list is followed to the letter.

I agree with the comment :

There seems to me a need to re-visit SSID's

FWIW, here is the recommended list with my questions and comments :

 -0 Home Station, Home Station running IGate.

    -1 Digipeater, Home Station running a Relay Digi, Wx Digipeater

    -2 Digipeater [#2 or] on 70CM

    -3 Digipeater [#3]

Three separate designations for digipeaters seems a bit much?

    -4 HF to VHF Gateway

    -5 IGate (Not home station) -6 is for Operations via Satellite

Why distinguish between a home station IGate and one which isn't?

    -7 Kenwood D7 HH

Just for Kenwood users ?   perhaps a bit exclusive don't you think?

    -8 is for boats, sailboats and ships (maybe 802.11 in the future)

    -9 is for Mobiles (Not HF see -15)

How do I distinguish between my car, my utility, and my tractor ?
Presumably they would all  be -9

    -10 is for operation via The internet only

Hmmmm I don't quite understand this  ......

    -11 is for APRStouch-tone users  (and the occasional Balloons)

Hmmmm (again) ...

    -12 Portable Units such as Laptops, Camp Sites etc.

Again,  a  large slice of our options for  what seems to me to be very few
users (if any in VK so far)

What about  -13?   (I hope we are not superstitious.....)

    -14 is for Truckers

Why not 9 like the others?

    -15 is for HF

OK

Please understand that I'm trying not to be being provocative in asking
these questions - I'm just puzzled by the apparent priorities here .....

To add further to the confusion,  my KPC-3 seems not to have any provision
for identification as to what sort of station it is when viewed on UI-view
- other than by selection of SSID.

Here is what I have discovered so far with this combination:

KPC-3
SSID      UI-View paints as:

1            Ambulance
2            Bus
3            Car
4            Bike
5            Yatch
6            Helicopter
7            Plane (Small)
8            Power Boat
9            Car
10            Motor Bike
11            Balloon
12            Jeep
13            Recreational Vehicle
14            Truck
15            Van

Even here there are some puzzles.    When I use -14 which gives me a truck
on UI-view, [ my weird sense of humour - it's actually the farm ute]  it
comes up on Findu as a house - a bit disconcerting when you look at the
speed on occasions.   I'm presently trialling -12 which UI-view
understands to be a jeep.  Unfortunately, findu still
<http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?VK5ATN-12>  thinks it's a house.

I also wonder what the heck I should use if I ever set up a station in a
glider - something I'd really like to try one day.

All questions with which I'm wrestling  ....

Regards,
Terry
VK5ATN