[OZAPRS] HT Recommendation

G T & C A Beagley beagley at xtra.co.nz
Fri Sep 17 14:15:02 EST 2004

Hi Andrew and all

I've tried the IC T90A for APRS in  the car. Goes OK with the ICOM car
power 11v lead. Very easy to blow chokes in the audio if you
accidentally remove plugs while powered up.
I now use a T2H which is a battery only model and ran it on 2000mah NiMh
for a couple of months recharging once a week. Has been very easy to
install a DC socket into a spare battery case, connect to the case
terminals and now runs from the T90a Car power lead. Works like a charm
and only around NZ$170 all up from Ham Radio Outlet. Using the car's cig
lighter socket may cause some minimal problems though. Works much better
direct from the battery.
Don't know anything about Kenwood HTs but seriously considering a TM
D700 to mount permanently in the car. Looks to be good value for money.
Self contained APRS (just plug in the GPS) and still talk on VHF/UHF at
the same time.

Graham

ZL1GTB

Andrew Rich wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Wonder if you can help me make a decision.
>
> I am looking at hand helds for APRS work.
>
> I have researched two so far. I have had a Kewood thd7ag but not really
> needing this.
>
> ICOM T90A
>
> 1. Runs of a silly voltage of 11 Volts
> 2. Has only two power level settings