[aprssig] RE: [OZAPRS] Spread Spectrum APRS

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Oct 17 23:03:39 EST 2004

Note definition 2, which is a more accurate representation than the
INFOSEC descriptor...

spread spectrum: 1. Telecommunications techniques in which a signal is
transmitted in a bandwidth considerably greater than the frequency
content of the original information. Note: Frequency hopping, direct
sequence spreading, time scrambling, and combinations of these
techniques are forms of spread spectrum. [INFOSEC-99] *2. A signal
structuring technique that employs direct sequence, frequency hopping or
a hybrid of these, which can be used for multiple access and/or multiple
functions. This technique decreases the potential interference to other
receivers while achieving privacy and increasing the immunity of spread
spectrum receivers to noise and interference. Spread spectrum generally
makes use of a sequential noise-like signal structure to spread the
normally narrowband information signal over a relatively wide band of
frequencies. The receiver correlates the signals to retrieve the
original information signal. [NTIA]*

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173