[OZAPRS] Interesting

Richter, Mike W Michael.Richter at team.telstra.com
Mon Oct 4 14:12:36 EST 2004

But why did commercial and professional services move form X.25 to Frame
Relay ? - because the reliability of terrestrial transmission improved
with the introduction of Optical Fibre.

This meant that the link-by-link error checking built into X.25 was no
longer an efficient protocol.

Has the error-rate of HF Transmission changed ? - no, so we keep using
AX.25.

What does it matter what protocol we use - our aim is to get reliable
reception of very short data packets - whether they are received 200km or
2000km distant - what precedent is there for that ?

Mike VK2BMM