[OZAPRS] Interesting

Andrew Rich andrew at tech-software.net
Mon Oct 4 07:26:08 EST 2004

What I find fascinating is the distances involved.

I tracked Brian mobile down south and back again and was truely
surprised at the number of packets I did copy.

I think HF packet is great. Especially in such a country as
Australia with such open spaces.

I even see Brian driving around locally on HF.

It is so cool to see him drive out of VHF range and then just keep
on going and going and still appear on the scope.

I think we take HF for granted.

My only thought is what sort of power and antennas are needed ?

I may even give it a go myself.

Cheers Andy

> Hi Brian,
> Why do we need APRS? Interesting question.
> I thought the answer was obvious.
> Genuine amateur operators self educate by doing new and interesting
things.
> When I look around at what is happening within APRS i see just so
much which is so different.
> That is exciting.
> I also note that much of what is happening does not suit the
demography and geography of most of Australia so we need to try
different things, including HF.
> Cheers
> Ron
> vk4ags

matter, yes there are those who cannot understand why we need either of
both or even APRS at all for that matter.

>   Whilst I generally use only UI-View I do at times run NetAPRS in
conjunction with OziEplorer all at the same time at this very moment I
have Ui-View running with a complete map of VK whilst NetAPRS and
OziEplorer are tracking VK2HL-15 on a Auslig Topographical map as this
is of special interest to me as much of the area that VK2HL-15 and
VK2JN-15 have covered over the past week my wife and I covered in a
little Subaru Brumby Ute complete with small tent etc on a 6000km trip
we undertook about 12 years ago now, tracking VK2HL-15 who is operating
on HF has been of great interest and brings back pleasant memories for
us. Also tracked over the past week or so has been VK5EX-15 also on HF
visiting places like Kings Canyon and other areas in NT.

>   Surely this is what HF APRS is all about tracking stations in
remote and often difficult RF areas this coupled with the Igate network
allows one Igate to take over from the other as skip and band
conditions change. To complete this network we really need another
Igate Station in the Centre or even Mt Isa with a couple more suitably
placed in the west in VK6.

>   Pity I only get to monitor those tripping about on the occasional
day I have home as I am reluctant to leave the gear on now the storm
season is approaching when I am not at home.

>   Thanks to those few volunteers who run the HF Igates for us.
>
>   Have a good week
>
>   B C N U
>   Brian VK4BBS
>
>   PS: If you have not setup your UI-View to connect to the net
already do so and once in a while monitor the VK/ZL, and other, traffic
you will find it of interest today I have logged nearly 350 VK and ZL
APRS stations operating or have operated there since I turned the gear
on.