[OZAPRS] 80m on thursday night

G T & C A Beagley beagley at xtra.co.nz
Sat Oct 2 19:17:57 EST 2004

Scott

You can actually Tx legally on the higher frequency.
Only the dial readout indicates you are out of the novice limits.
Because of the transmitted tone pair frequencies and using LSB your
signals will actually be inside the novice band (subtract the two
frequencies from the dial indication and you will see where your TX
tones are located). The dial only indicates the carrier frequency and as
you are using SSB there isn't any carrier, just the two tones.
The same applies here using 10mhz LSB. The dial indicates LSB 10.151.5
(plus or minus a bit) which is outside the band but the signals are
actually inside the band. I was a bit worried about being outside the
band until I did the calculations. The mathematics obviously work
because the signals being decoded are known to be inside the band. This
should solve the problem with the fax tone which is pretty bad here too.

Graham

ZL1GTB

vk7hse at southcom.com.au wrote:
>   Hi Tony... & others on the list...
>
>   Yes last night was a little better from my end. Your signal (VK5AH)
was
> 20+ over 9 and of course stronger than the fax station (S-7)
>
> I tried listening on 3.626.910 lsb to see if this would improve the
> reception but it was about the same rate of decoding either way except
that
> on lsb the fax wasn't present but of course the noise was!
>
>   Problem being is that I can't TX on the higher frequency (3.626.910
lsb)
> as this puts me out of band! (Novice's cut off at 3.625 MHz) Hmm might
have
> to set up a split so that I'll TX on 3.622.490 USB but RX on 3.626.910
LSB