[OZAPRS] Remote voice (bit off topic)

David Tilson dave at daves-portal.com
Sat Nov 27 17:53:31 EST 2004

G'day Ron,

My radio station has been available via my LAN and also across the
Internet for approx 2 years and I regularly roam around the house with
either my WiFi connected PDA or notebook computer talking to people.  It
also has around 400 people worldwide registered to use the system.

For the audio component, I suggest using Skype (www.skype.com).  It is
free, and 2 major benefits over programs like NetMeeting is that the
latency is very low and it is port friendly.  I have 3 types of audio
available across my system and NM is my least favourite.

The big question comes to the type of radio you are using and wanting to
interface to.

I use a program written by Stan, W4MQ, called RemoteServer and
WebTransceiver (www.w4mq.com).  This works exceptionally well for the
TS2000 and TS480 type radios but (currently) is really limited to these
2 radios.  It is ideal if you are wanting to make your radio available
to others as you can provide all sorts of access controls, based on type
of licence, etc.  This supports all modes, including PSK31.  This
program is specifically written for remote operation and does this very
well.

If you are just looking for yourself to access the system, either
TRX-Manager or Ham Radio Deluxe both work quite well.

TRX-Manager costs (approx $100 from memory) and supports a wide range of
radios.  Further info can be found at www.trx-manager.com

Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) is free and also supports a wide range of radios.
It has good support for things like memories, favourites, etc but I find
the PTT a bit slow to respond.  Further info can be found at
http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/

Both TRX and HRD are primarily designed for local computer operation and
aren't really optimised for remote operations.

All of the programs require server side software and TRX/HRD require a
thick client to access them, whereas RemoteServer can use either a thick
client or a web browser/flash combination.

All 3 of these programs are very well supported and there are various
discussion boards around for each.

My remote base is available at www.daves-portal.com

Hope this helps.

Regards,