[OZAPRS] Windows UI-View Replacement - Development

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Tue Nov 16 13:35:27 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 07:13:17PM -0000, Andy Pritchard wrote:
> I did wonder if upgrading visually XASTIR would be more productive. But
> what we are talking about here is building a framework to allow people
> pick and mix there application and to promote developing of new
components
> without the need to recompile the core framework.

What sort of components and what sort of component/framework split do
you have in mind? It sounds good in theory but I don't see what it would
really mean in practice.

I would live to see XASTIR ported to a better visual toolkit than Motif,
like GTK2. It would look quite decent on Windows too in that case.

> I always find anything in C a real pain in the backside to compile.
> Contrast that with Java where all you need is the correct classpath
defined.

Hmm. I think it's much the same. If you need non-standard libraries, you
need to get them and install them in either case. Maybe you are just
saying that the standard Java libraries are richer than the standard C
libraries, which is true. On Linux, distributions make XASTIR easy to
get (you probably don't even need to compile it yourself).

Hamish