[OZAPRS] ozaprs mailing list

roughplanet roughplanet at optushome.com.au
Sat Nov 13 18:52:44 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Norm McMillan" <njmcmillan at bigpond.com>
To: <ozaprs at marconi.ics.mq.edu.au>
Cc: <roughplanet at optushome.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2004 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: [OZAPRS] ozaprs mailing list

 I don't know why this has happened Laurie, but I just retrieved your
email from my "spam" box on Bigpond! I use Bigponds spam filter service
try and reduce the amount in my own inbox and only check the webmail every

few days.
Don't feel lonely 'cause it sometimes happens to mail from Bog Bruninga
 on the aprsig list as well. Perhaps your previous emails got lost as
well. To check it, send a post to OZAPRS and cc it to me at
njmcmillanatbigponddotcom corrected as required of course.
The OZAPRS list isn't a closed list as far as I know, (and I've been
 subscribed on and off for a few years now!) and APRS certainly isn't !
The only observation I would make is that the "participants" tend to be
 more "computer nerdy" than the Ham radio population in general.(No
 offence guys and gals!!!) Darryl in particular can be a little
forgetfull,
(and he freely admits it!)
The uiview registration thing has had a few hiccups since Roger passed
 away so don't give up on it. It took me two goes to get it registered.
I've CC'd to you direct in case you're no longer subscribed, and posted
 to the list so everyone knows what's happening :)

Norm, VK2XCI,
Voice of The Edge of The Outback.
QF27wd

Hi Norm & thanks for your email. I am SO glad that my impression of the
APRS
group was unfounded, as it would have been a first for me to experience
anything but 'the welcome mat' since recently biting the bullet & sitting
my
first round of exams.
Similarly, I would like to thank the other members of the group who have
replied via the mailing list to assure me that my experience was
definitely
a 'one off', and that the APRS group are as keen to accept new members as
are the many other interest groups within the amateur radio umbrella.
As a user of Linux since 0.98, and a keen SWL & utility monitor for the
past
20 years or so, I am very much looking forward to mixing IT & amateur
radio,
a most synergistic combination if ever there was one.
APRS would seem a very good place to start (but with Python hi hi).
Regards,

Laurie Dare