[OZAPRS] ozaprs mailing list

roughplanet roughplanet at optushome.com.au
Mon Nov 8 16:47:35 EST 2004

On August 4 this year, I subscribed to the ozaprs at marconi.ics.mq.edu.au
mailing list & received the admittedly computer-generated welcome email.
On October 4, I sent an email to uiview at aprs.net.au requesting
registration
details as per the mail I received on August 19 regarding same.
Having heard nothing at all, I then posted to this mailing list on October

19,  requesting help re the registration of UI-view. The only reply I
received was from Allan Wallace, ZL1AMW, the New Zealand provider of
UI-view
registrations, who was kind enough to supply me with the information I
needed to register the programme.
The point I wish to make is that ozaprs would appear, from my experience,
be a 'closed shop', and contrary to the 'Welcome' email I received when I
first subscribed to this mailing list some months ago, new members are not

particularly welcome, and are just ignored.
This is contrary to my experience with other aspects of ham radio, where
'newbies' are genuinely welcomed & the spirit of amateur radio is alive
and
well. If you can't be bothered with new members, then close your mailing
list & no-one will be any the wiser. On the other hand, if this is simply
'one-off', maybe it's time to review your practices to ensure that it
doesn't occur too often.
I no longer feel miffed at having been ignored, as there are so many other

areas of amateur radio in which to 'dabble' that the apparent exclusion
from
one, vis. APRS, is of little concern. It's just a pity that ozaprs does
not
appear to either want or need newcomers, unlike most other areas of  ham
radio.
Regards,

Laurie Dare
VK3HLD