[OZAPRS] HF Bands.

Robert Thirkettle rob.thirkettle at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon May 31 09:55:33 EST 2004

Hi All

        I have a major problem with getting my Tinytrak to work on 10 MHz
has any body had similar problems. I am sure the problem is RF getting
into the Tinytrak and corrupting the settings. I have my Tinytrak mounted
in a metal die cast box RF bypass capacitors on all inputs and outputs
plus clamp on ferrites around all the leads. My setup is a IC 706 and AH4
ATU plus whip It all works fine on all bands but 10 MHz.

Noel do you think we can get ZL wide coverage on 30M I don’t think we can
because of the short distances in ZL and the longer skip distance of 30M
compared to 40M this problem will get worse as this sun spot cycle
continues to wards it’ minimum over the next few years even 40M will
struggle as we get to the bottom of the sun spot cycle.

As you can see from the plot below 30M is around 900Km skip distance ZL is
only approximately 1500Km long if we had the 30m Gateway at each end it
may work but I think there will be holes in coverage at the top of south
island and bottom of the north island.

These topics should give us plenty to talk about next weekend.

Christchurch Local Area Mobile Predictions

Regards Rob Thirkettle  ZL3RX

Dept  Physics & Astronomy

University of Canterbury

Private Bag 4800,