[OZAPRS] Richard's comments following on mine (and more) ...

Tony Hunt wavetel at iname.com
Fri May 28 18:13:22 EST 2004

Just a comment on Brians PS note and 3MY not appearing to be gating
anything
to the net at present.. It seems that way to me as well here in VK5 land..
usually dont have much trouble getting posits through 3MY-4 and even
VKMAIL
messages..

Last night and all of today I left the gear running on 30m. All day Ive
had
4DMI-4 3MY-4 and 3BYD-12 running about on the HF map.. Very good sigs here
today.. Looking at the internet feed back from our Igate though I have
seen
nothing from myself VK5AH-12 on HF today until sundown ..Likewise
VK3BYD-12
nothing period.. Its interesting to see VK3BYD-15 pop up late in the day
via
the internet feed when -12 didnt appear at all all day long although I had
him here on my HF RX map.. 3BYD-15 seems to be on 144.900 VHF from the
path
on findu..

My HF home beacon is running at 30mins and I guess its possible things are
not exactly right in my TX department either but my only posit that ive
managed to catch onto the net so far is via 4DMI.. Ive tried forcing lots
of
HF beacons through at reasonably regular intervals as well from home with
no
results during daylight hours.. My 30m HF antenna is not optimal
especially
for VK4 though..

Makes you wonder about Terrys comments in regards to reliabliity of HF
APRS.. There are heaps of factors involved of course.. If the local noise
levels at 3MY are high then nothing gets through. If propagation is cactus
for a day then its the same.. If 3BYD-12 is not far away enough from 3MY
then he wont get in either.. If the Igate connection/s are disabled or
severed then the HF net is isolated..

Really though we cant go comapring VHF/UHF APRS with HF in the reliability
stakes.. If I am on a trip in the simpson desert and I get 3 posits a day
in
then I am doing as well as PCsat/ISS really.. And about as well as I could
expect on some days.

Its the same as VHF SATGates on APRS really.. Just like Bob B has been
saying for a while.. The more Gates that are running the more reliable it
will be.. Thats the strength of a well constructed APRS network when there
is good redundancy..

Thats my bit.. This time I am talking about something I do know.. 73 for
now
Tony VK5AH..