[OZAPRS] 30m the weekend

Ron and Val Smith rsmitj at tpgi.com.au
Mon May 10 06:49:47 EST 2004

Hi All,
I drove Calliope (near Gladstone) to Brisbane last Friday during the
afternoon and returned Sunday in the early evening using 30m APRS.
I kept a log file of what was heard here at home from the network and it
seems that the Friday afternonn coverage was not too bad with about 20% of
the beacons being entered into the internet system. Gympie south, about
dusk, was not good until very near Brisbane.
The trip home was good until about 1900 (about Woolooga near Gympie) when
nothing was heard except a couple of beacons from Gin Gin.
I know Des 4DMI heard the HF beacons while I was in Brisbane but I am
interested in what other stations heard the beacons to understand the
propagation.
I was running a ts130s, using crystals not the vfo, feeding about 50w into
homebrew tapped helical on the tow bar.
Cheers
Ron
VK4AGS