[OZAPRS] some comments re the ongoing findu discussion

geoff ggatward at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 18 19:34:11 EST 2004

> Now regarding messages.
>
> My understanding was that if a station from outside your filtered
> feed sent you a message that their position would be sent and away
> you went.    Did the servers run something other than javAPRSsrvr
> originally.   I think aprsd worked in this fashion.

The same rule applies to the current servers. If a message is sent to you
from outside the filter area, the sending callsign's posit is also
transmitted from the buffer.  (In theory anyway...)
The problem may be that there are so many APRS stations out there now that

the buffers are flushed and there is no stored posit to send ;-)

I think the issue here only relates to the EMAIL services - If I'm not
mistaken normal messaging to other overseas users is still working
correctly.

> Aprs email servers aside, most people would only think of messaging
> a station that appeared on their map. So messaging within VK should
> work all the time for stations connected to an igate and possibly on
> RF also depending on the igates RF out going path.

I think most Igates allow messages to VKx* to be gated to RF, otherwise
messaging functionality would not be there at all.  My Igate here serving
Sydney gates messages to VK2* to RF, and if you are not a VK2 the path is
opened up as soon as you send a message inbound.

> What is involved in setting up an aprs email server. May be one
> could be run within VK. If the available software is able to run on
> a linux box. I could look at running it on our gate or perhaps Geoff
> could run it at the national server.

I bit of scripting involving a 'listener' application, sniffing the data
stream from one of the relevent ports on the server, with a bit of string
manipulation...   Want to have a play John ??  :-)

I could definatley implement such a system on ONE of the national servers,

provided a standard was agreed upon within the region (VK/ZL), since
sending
to the common EMAIL address would result in a flood of emails from the
various servers already out there. I think it was mentioned that there is
one in the UK as well as the US based server already??

Geoff