[OZAPRS] Findu can find me..

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Mar 16 11:47:15 EST 2004

On Faking the RS0ISS* in status text:

Your technique, works, but also is without any
integrity.  You are forcing it to work by forcing
RS0ISS* in the status text.  THus it gets to
FINDU as an ISS digipeated packet whether
it was actually digipeated or not.

This totally undermines the integrity of the data.
You will say that "but you only transmit" that
packet on the ISS-uplink.  But my experience
is that ANY packet that gets put into a TNC
or a program, sooner or later gets transmitted
on the WRONG frequency and hence screws
up the data.  Look at all the people doing that.
It almost makes the data page on PCsat
worthless presently.

de WB4APR, Bob
Bob, whose wisdom is respected, said thus:

>I believe there is a tendancy "down under" to
>DIGIPEAT ISS and PCsat packets over onto
>144.39 FIRST so that then they can get into
>the IGate system.

Yes, in ZL we do - not onto 144.39, but onto other local frequencies
which
amounts to the same thing.

>As I have said over and over,
>that doesnt work for the APRS-IS!

It can be made to work.  Check ZL3GR-3 at ARISS!

>Once it hits 144.39, it enters an IGate as having
> been digipeated TERRESTRIALLY instead of
>via RS0ISS* thus FINDU nor
> www.ARISS.NET
>does not see the RS0ISS*.

>So you need dedicated ISS SATGATES.  Do not
> rely on the digiepating-to-39 crutch that currently
>seems to be in heavy use down there...

>Bob

Now while all that Bob has said is generally accepted as being true,
and
simplistically it is, there is a simple way arround it.  In effect, I
am
saying that whilst Bob is right he is also wrong!

I run an APRS node for our local area, and do not have an i-gate
connection.
All traffic is fed on RF, via a duplex data repeater, between me and
the
i-gate (ZL1AMW) 83 Km away in Hamilton.  This is on the other side of
range of hills, and the repeater is on a ridge.   As well as
terrestial
traffic I also monitor the ISS (or PCSat if its got light and power)
and
feed any traffic out via my node.  From time to time I send my own
beacons
off into space, and if it comes back, my node deals with it.

All that is needed for the ARISS site to see satellite traffic that has
also
had digipeats terrestially before getting into the internet is for a
comment
to be appended to the beacon to say "via RS0ISS*".

Here is a copy and paste, to show how it was done.  My node acted on
the
SGATE, and the WIDE is so that other nodes can digi it for their local
stations to see.  I checked the ARISS site and it is there (UTC 2135)>