[OZAPRS] Findu and Email Unreliable ?

Ron Perry ronk at sunlinux.com.au
Fri Mar 12 08:42:44 EST 2004

Hi Guys,
I've been trying to diagnose a problem that Geoff VK2EO has with his
home station position.  Currently fundu shows he is "in the ballpark",
however UI-View and his transmitted shows that he is in the Tasman.
I think he is beaconing 1 degree to far south.

If this is the case then I suspect there could be a problem with fundu.

Regards,
Ron
vk3ecv

Richard Hoskin wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> I've not recently experienced any major problems with findu although I
did notice this problem a few years ago.

> All relevant data for stations I have been monitoring over the past few
months has been as I would have expected. The Site Alert data from findu
does not have any holes in it that can not be explained and a number of
VK3 stations that I checked on and compared with RF data are correct.

> Remember that findu has a filter that will filter out what it thinks is
bad or duplicated packets.

> If you look at the following:
>
> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/raw.cgi?call=vk3byd-15&time=1

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/tele1.cgi?call=vk3cv-1&last=96&param=1&b=0.5&
label=Current Temperature&units=Celceus&autorange=1

> You will see that the data is consistant.
>
> I would suspect it may be your local IGate that is causing findu to
think that the packets it is receiving are corrupted. As a test you could
set up UI-View as an IGate and see if there is any difference in the data
Findu reports. What version of aprsd is the IGate running?

> It would be an inefficient use of limited Australian APRS resources to
provide an Australian findu unless it added additional functionality that
the International on does not have.

> You might like to email Steve Dimse if the problem persists as he may
have experienced similar problems in the passed.