[OZAPRS] Some speculation from an innocent bystander ...

rsmitj at tpg.com.au rsmitj at tpg.com.au
Mon Jan 12 06:37:12 EST 2004

HI Brian,
I will be in Bris until the coming weekend.  Then the saltmine calls.
I have been trying 40m as it suits the 500km from home to here.  I try to
have it on the trip
when some Rocky ops are trying to track me.  I have not had much success
fromt he mobile
antenna but the testing from the home station goes fine. (better antenna I
suspect)
I don't have a mobile hf antenna with me this time as the car was just too
full with Christmas
presents for the grandchildren this trip to put the hf gear in.
For hf I have a 130s and a 707, neither of which will give a frequency
readout below the
100Hz,  So I tune other hf statons using the agwpe tuning aid. It worked
fine tuning you on
30m on your trip.  CQ to Bris is not good on 30m.
You sould be seeing ags-2 whcih is the laptop on the desk here, -9 which
is a tracker in the
car, and occasionally -8 which is the dm700 in the car and rarely -10
which was when I was
checking aprsce on the little ipaq and the thd7.
I thik you will find the cqu gateway will be down for a week or so. The
home station will not be
seen. There are computer system modifications going on at cqu and I will
have to rebuild the
computer running the igate when I return.
Cheers
Ron
vk4ags
Quoting Brian Beamish <bbeamish at bigpond.net.au>:

> Hi Ron
>
> Think I have the right Ron VK4AGS if so I see your three stations all
> beaconing from the same spot here in Brisbane?
>
> Whilst I really do not Know all the intricacies of running and Igate as
> only fill in at times when VK4DMI's Igate is off or when Des wants to do
> some testing of his own I do though know that you will not get the Alias
> be the same for a normal VHF gateway and that of a HF Gateway one of the
> experienced HF Igate SysOps could explain this far better than myself
but
> there is a good reason for it.
>
> I note that you have been testing on 40m would really like to try and
copy
> you there most, not all unfortunately, APRS gateways are on 7.036 LSB my
> gear here actually reads 7.036.53 wonder where you have been working as
> have not monitored you there yet although to be honest 30m is so good
that I
> stay there most of the time.
>
> I know what you mean about getting gear into a small car as mine
certainly
> is not a large one either but I have managed to fit HF, VHF/UHF, UHF CB,
> CDMA phone along with APRS into it most of which is mounted under the
two
> front seats for HF I use the now old original IC-706 Mk1 and for VHF/UHF
> micro FT-90 both of which are under the seats with their remote front
panels
> mounted on the dash. I have yet to find somewhere for the electric brake
> control to go and last but not least to find room for the XYL.
>
> As a matter of interest I was able to pickup an Icom auto tuner and with
> some modification to the rear compartment of the car I have actually got
> this mounted and hidden away within the car but under the floor
alongside
> the spare tyre etc.
>
> I do not yet have a Laptop but that is in the saving mode as I wish to
> experiment with SSTV and PSK-31 from some of the places, some remote,
that
> we go or will go camping.
>
> Hi Brian,
> I have done some experimenting, mainly on 40m.
> I find two problems.
> One is I am using an older rig, 130s, which is not a frequency stable as
the
> modern fully
> synthesised ones, and the different aliases being used for hf and vhf.
It