[OZAPRS] Re: ozaprs Digest, Vol 13, Issue 13

Ron Perry ronk at sunlinux.com.au
Fri Feb 27 17:47:17 EST 2004

Hi,
Terry thanks for your reply.

Terry Neumann wrote:
> [...]

>> I currently have both my KAMs hooked up to the IC-735 on a 1/4wave
>> vertical on the roof of the house.  I'm running UI-View, with one KAM+
>> doing both VHF and HF APRS, digipeating and Igating. The second Kam+
>> is on a terminal, running with PASSALL ON, so I can "see" all HF
>> packets, good and bad. This gives me some idea to what is being heard
>> at all times.
>>
>> 10 Meg Propagation.
>> At the moment, it doesn't seem to be very regular, but with only 3
>> weeks of operation, this may be a bit more predictable after more time
>> has elapsed.
>>
>> I have been hearing VK3MY-3 from about 1200 to around 2200 local the
>> last few days. I have heard VK3MY-3 until midnight a couple of times
>> as well and sometimes appears earlier than noon.
>>
>> Is Terry VK5ATN on HF full time?  I did see him one afternoon, with
>> excellent signals, but have not heard from him, either before, or
>> after that one time.
>>
>> VK4BBS-11 has been copied a few times at around 16.30 local, but I've
>> only seen VK4DMI-1 once when I was listening a couple of weeks back,
>> before I moved the Igate to UI-View.
>>
>> It seems strange that    1) I hear VK4BBS-11 but not VK4DMI-1.
>>             2) I hear VK3MY-3 but not VK3BYD-(15?)
>> considering that the VK4 pair and the VK3 pair are a similar distance
>> and direction from Mildura.
>>

>> Comments welcome.
>> Regards,
>> Ron
>> vk3ecv/vk3wrm
>>

> 1)  Firstly, my station (VK5ATN), like the owner is a bit erratic in its

> appearance.   I usually switch over to  HF packet  at about 1030 hours
> local.  The station usually stays there until about 1600 hrs when I
> either turn off, or go to VHF packet.   It's usually there most days;
> there have been exceptions - when I am not around the place, or as
> happened a cuppla days ago, I had a WinCrash 98 event which occupied my
> spare moments for most of the day.  (It's back after reloading
> Windcra$h, but with a very loud protest from the on-board speaker when
> the windows screen first appears).
> My station is an older MFJ-1278 driving a TS-50 and the antenna is a
> dedicated mono band  inverted V at about 40 feet at the apex.  The
> station has no other function other than as listening and beacon device
> (very selfish).
> 2) I've been sharing the same puzzling questions about 10 MHz
> propagation.   In my spasmodic observation of about 4 weeks, the most
> consistent station is VK3MY.  It's there at all times and usually with a

> huge signal.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to respond to ping
> requests, at least not in my experience, so I need to keep an eye on the

> S meter.
> VK3WRM/ECV has been there most of the time for the past two days Ron as
> VK3WRM.  I did see you the one day as VK3ECV a week or so ago but there
> was a long period in between when nothing was seen.

I was using VK3ECV when I was mainly listenning/testing to find if I was
on frequency.

> Warren's mobile  is there some days - nearly always about mid-day or an
> hour either side.  We are coressponding about this  from time to time.

> No sign of you either today or yesterday Warren ......

Still no sign of Warren here.

> The VK4 stations are there most days with VK4DMI getting the most of the

> screen.

I now am rxing both VK4DMI-1 and VK4BBS-11 signals in the afternoon, and
occasionally in the morning.

> I have a S3 or 4 background noise level most of the time on 30 metres.
I have S3 sometimes..local...sounds like powerline insulator..a decent
drop of rain might fix it. :-) But the noise level sometimes drops to
nil, but then there is no packet heard either.

> I need to see what it's all about - I've a feeling the culprit is the
> computer I use for packet and APRS.
> It seems apparent that the biggest challenge is getting a good signal on

> air, and then having a good noise free receiving setup to make the most
> of it.  I speculate whether a V on my larger tower - 60 feet is
> available - and it's further from the computer, would be worth the
> trouble.   I doubt that I'll get the time or energy to do it - other
> projects demand priority - like getting HF going on the tractor for this

> years seeding operations.

IMHO the extra 20ft probably wouldn't really make a lot of difference.

> My honest appraisal of the situation at present is that despite the
> comparative ease with which I could get a tracker station on 30 metres
> once the HF tinyTrak module is out, I'm hard pressed to convince myself
> it's worth the trouble. I'll probably give it a try because I perceive
> that I'm somewhat unique in having the option of three gateway stations
> at a generous sample of distances from my area of operations. The
> experiment needs to be done.  However, I'm not optimistic, given what
> I've seen so far.   I speculate whether other bands might be better.   I

> wonder whether compressed beacons stand a better chance of surviving the

> hazards of HF propagation and noise.

I'd think if I was heading "Outback" then it could be a useful tool.

> I'll continue to watch and put out a beacon every 30 minutes or so,
> however for various reasons you may not see much of me over the next
> three days or so.   Other things will get in the way.  Hopefully gliding

> will be one of them :-)

Good stuff.

Regards,
Ron