[OZAPRS] Off Topic: Linux, Xastir advice needed

Merv Joyce mjoyce at bigpond.net.au
Tue Dec 28 20:32:29 EST 2004

Hi Norm,

Firstly, though I have played with and programmed quite a number of
Linux systems I am far from "expert".  I have not tried "Xastir" so
cannot comment directly in that regard.

My advice is in regard to running "X".  With only 32Mb of memory you
will find getting a "reasonable" response time hard going from my
experience.  I can confirm from experience that with each later release
of Red Hat the requirement for full "X" support requires more and more
memory and processor speed for "acceptable" response.

The trick I feel will be to use the earliest install you have (say Red
Hat 5) that is library compatible with your Xastir kit.

In any regard I am sure you are having fun and learning heaps ... That's
what its all about ......

Merv Joyce (VK4ZE)