[OZAPRS] Distance/bearing calculations

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Aug 30 06:50:14 EST 2004

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Richter, Mike W wrote:

> If you are limiting it to 100km or so then use UTM because it is a
> rectangular grid system. Distance and bearing are plain geometry.

Hmmm...  I only have to cover a "local" area, so I don't need the full
spherical geometry stuff.  Yes, that will simplify things.

> xxxyyy is a simplification of UTM where you only need 100m accuracy.

10m would be preferable (it's the difference between finding and missing a
checkpoint in the dark).

> Full 13 digit UTM (from a GPS) gives you 1 metre resolution.

But only with WAAS (which I believe is unavailable here) or dGPS (and
there's not many of those out in the bush).

-- Dave