[OZAPRS] Brisbane-Gladstone Yacht Race

Ron and Val Smith rsmitj at tpgi.com.au
Tue Apr 13 06:31:05 EST 2004

Hi All,
The big race is over for another year. Some records tumbled.
I fitted a portable tracker (2w output) to the local rescue boat which has
the role of taking the mayor to each arriving yacht to hand over a
medallion and some brew from the race sponsor. The boat provides towing
and guidance to berths if needed.
I also installed a temporary repeater overlooking the harbour.
That worked well.
I was wondering if we could, now that we have a year to plan and prepare,
track some of the boats for the 2005 race.
I know this was tried a few years ago.
What do you think? Given that here is no aprs infrastructure currently
between Brisbane and Gladstone, can we do it?
Could this be good WICEN Training?
Cheers
Ron
vk4ags