[OZAPRS] PSK 31

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Oct 22 23:21:08 EST 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, vk6ad wrote:

> It seems to me that the defacto HF APRS standard has already been
> established ie 300 baud/AX25/FSK on 10MHz....
> However if we want to play with modern modes like PSK31 then we may need
> to call it something other than Bob's trade mark of "APRS" - maybe
> "EPRS" - Experimental Position Reporting System.

If its on the international APRS frequency of 10.149.2 Mark, 10.149.4
space then I think it better be APRS.  If its anything else, it is not
welcome by any of the existing users using APRS and variants since 1983.

But there is no reason why we cannot encourage EPRS experimentation. AND
in my opinion, PSK-31 data related to "APRS" type applications can be
accomodated within the same SSB audio bandwidth without interference if
kept more than say 600 Hz from the APRS tones.  Thus, if we establish
10.148.300 plus and minus 300 Hz as the experimental EPRS passband, then
we can accomodate as many as 6 or more simultaneous PSK-31 signals in the
SAME audio passband on most SSB receivers.

Though some will argue that most people do not use narrowband filters on
their APRS systems and so the PSK signals in the passband will pump the
AGC on the receier and therefore impact APRS.

Its a tough call...

de WB4APR, Bob