[OZAPRS] A comment from a HF APRS Operator

Brian Beamish bbeamish at bigpond.net.au
Thu Oct 16 21:44:36 EST 2003

G'Day

I have been reading with interest all the various comments about
frequencies, gateways and synchronisation etc over the past few days many
of these comments come from those that I am yet to log or see operating
300 baud HF APRS.

Some have mentioned using PSK31 and other methods we have tried some of
these and for example the few second 300baud beacon is around 20 seconds
using PSK31 and from tests carried out PSK31 just does not work for APRS.

Both Des VK4DMI and myself synchronised both our mobile and home stations
with the VK3 ones and for 2-3 weeks prior to my trip I made no change what
so ever to my mobile using it just about every day to and from work and
even more on weekends my stationed was logged every day. Repeating I made
no change at all and went on the two week mobile trip being logged 90% of
the way by either VK3 or VK4 without any problems at all, synchronising
most certainly was not a problem.

30m 300 baud HF APRS does work and does so very well I have proven that.

B C N U
Brian VK4BBS

PS: I personally feel that we should use one frequency and one frequency
only nationally for APRS as far as ducting is concerned this is if it
happens at all is for such a short period that I personally cannot imagine
it ever being a problem.