[OZAPRS] RE: [zlaprs] Liaison with VK.

Richard Hoskin lhoskin at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 16 14:33:59 EST 2003

Hi Noel,

Your email wasn't ignored.... Just discussed via 600ohms, rather than on
the list. The discussion has been along the lines of Yes it would be
good to set up a 30mtr APRS Net with the ZLs even if they do just happen
to win the world cup :)

It appears that we are going to use the International APRS 30mtr
Frequency.
It is proposed that VK have 4 30mtr IGates located at Melbourne,
Mildura, Perth and Brisbane. We will continue to use the path of
GATE,WIDE for HF as this is the accepted international standard to Gate
from HF to VHF. I don't believe we will be setting up any ECHO stations.

The biggest issue at present is the frequency synchronization of all
Base stations on the network to a single reference frequency. HF Packet
is very intolerant of drifts of more that about 30Hz. In a mobile
situation this can be difficult to achieve.

Once the 30mtrs network is set up we will look at a 40mtr network for
'local' coverage.

If we work together on these networks it will assist and benefit all of
us.

See http://vk6.aprs.net.au/hf.htm for some current details.
Chris Hill VK6KCH is the main driver behind the VK HF Network.

I think the OZAPRS list is underutilized.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK