Fw: [OZAPRS] Pros and Cons of changing VK3's APRS frequency

Ron Perry ronk at sunlinux.com.au
Wed Oct 8 19:14:23 EST 2003

Hi Richard and the group.

I've been sitting on the fence, reading with interest.

Richard Hoskin wrote:
 > I'm sending this message again as I'm not sure if it was sent first
time.
 > Please dis-regarded if you receive several copies.
 >
 > Richard
 > ----------------
 >
 > Hi All,
 >
 > Thanks to the 6 people who have replied to my email on this subject.

Being in Mildura and on 145.175Mz I originally thought I'd stayout of
this, however I'd like to put my support to move the VK3 network from
144.900 to 145.175.

This change would make the management of the 145.175 interesting to say
the least.  Currently the VK5 network is heard locally from time to time.

Plans in NW Vic are to get relay digis at Ouyen and Robinvale, and
later, one to the west on the Sturt Hwy and north on Silver City Hwy.

 > Of the 6 replies I have received on this idea 3 have been for the
change in
 > VK3s APRS frequency and 2 feel that the effort required to change
does not
 > appear justified as it is easy to change your channel when mobile
between
 > states. 1 reply did not specify which was the preferred option.

I'm about to organise FM828 Xtals for both 144.9 and 145.175. The FM828
is an excellent low RX current radio for mobile use, as a tracker.
The FM900 IMHO has a too high RX for mobile use.

I wonder how many others do run the above, and therefore need 2 sets of
Xtals.  Everyone in VK that wants to use FM828 I suspect.

 > I have received pledges for financial assistance totalling $375 if the
 > project should go ahead. Thank you to those people who have offered to
 > contribute.

I'm happy to contribute $100 as well as help where I can.

I'd like to hear more from other VK3 hams on this, maybe the will prompt
more replies.

 > My opinion is that I don't believe the change in frequency is warranted
 > for any technical or network coverage requirements, infact it could
make the
 > network more difficult to manage (See the problems the USA is currently
 > having with
 > APRS). It may however provide better consistency of coverage for
those who
 > live within 60km of the VK2/VK3 borders. It would be nice to have an
APRS RF
 > network
 > that linked the hole of South Eastern Australia (VK2, all VK3 & VK5)
without
 > a reliance on
 > the internet.
 >
 > I was a little disappointed in the small response to this subject as
I have
 > had a number of comments made to me over the last few years which
indicated
 > a desire to change or change the VK3 APRS frequency.
 >
 > At this stage I see on great technical benefit to VK APRS in changing
 > frequency but if enough
 > money is rased to cover all costs associated with the change (approx
$2500)
 > then I
 > would reconsider the project.

There are only 2 (please correct me if I'm wrong VK3RPG-2 and VK3RMG-1)
Licenced Digpeaters that need to be changed that are managed/owned by
groups. All the other Digipeaters and Igates are licenced to (and funded
by, I'd suspect) private hams. The $2500 cost you quoted may be for the
whole of VK3 network, but I don't think that anywhere near that needs to
be funded. I'd think most of VK3 hams would happily fund and convert
their own equipment to 145.175 when the change were to take place.

Personally I'd feel a little embarassed rxing money to change something
running under my callsign.

There would be pain in VK3 as the change to place now, but more pain if
it is left to a later date.

I believe that the advantages outway the disadvantages to have VK3 on
the National APRS frequency.

Regards,
Ron
VK3ECV