[OZAPRS] Pros and Cons of changing VK3's APRS frequency

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Oct 8 02:21:47 EST 2003

My opinion is get the whole country on one Freq.  Do it now when it is
cheap.  Don't do it later when it is a bigger headache and will cost more
from more people.

The power of APRS is in its universality for mobiles.  APRS in the entire
north american continent is on one freq.  Europe began on spearate ones
but soon realized the benefit and also switched to a single continental
frequency.

Good luck.  de WB4APR, Bob

 On Tue, 7 Oct 2003,
Richard Hoskin wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Thanks to the 6 people who have replied to my email on this subject.
>
> Of the 6 replies I have received on this idea 3 have been for the change
in
> VK3s APRS frequency and 2 feel that the effort required to change does
not
> appear justified as it is easy to change your channel when mobile
between
> states. 1 reply did not specify which was the preferred option.
>
> I have received pledges for financial assistance totalling $375 if the
> project should go ahead. Thank you to those people who have offered to
> contribute.
>
> My opinion is that I don't believe the change in frequency is warranted
> for any technical or network coverage requirements, infact it could make
the
> network more difficult to manage (See the problems the USA is currently
> having with
> APRS). It may however provide better consistency of coverage for those
who
> live within 60km of the VK2/VK3 borders. It would be nice to have an
APRS RF
> network
> that linked the hole of South Eastern Australia (VK2, all VK3 & VK5)
without

de WB4APR at amsat.org, Bob

MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite  http://ssdl.stanford.edu/mims/