[OZAPRS] HF for APRS

Andrew Rich (VK4TEC) vk4tec at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 20 11:14:57 EST 2003

Thanks Dave... appreciate it !

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Horsfall" <dave at horsfall.org>
To: <ozaprs at marconi.ics.mq.edu.au>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: [OZAPRS] HF for APRS

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Andrew Rich (VK4TEC) wrote:

> With the abolution of CW requirement in 2004, I for one will be getting
> involved in HF

You and thousands of other Z-calls :-)

> I would like some comments or radios. I am thinking along the lines of
Yaesu
> FT-100D

I've got one - nice HF rig, with 6m/2m/70cm thrown in.  Keep in mind that
it's an HF rig i.e. it does not have the usual "channels" that you're used
to on VHF, even on the VHF bands.

Firmware takes some getting used to: to switch to low power, for example
(indeed, to change a lot of fundamental things) you have to got to the
"Tools" menu.  That said, a lot of other things can be selected quite
easily, such as noise blanker etc.

Can do packet on 1200/9600, and FSK etc.

The optional auto-tuner works well.

The CAT interface is a bit of a dog (being HF-orientated); you can't
download the contents of memory channels, for example, so you have to keep
a local copy.

-- Dave