[OZAPRS] TNCs for HF Igate

Warren VK3BYD vk3byd at wia.org.au
Fri Jun 20 11:41:38 EST 2003

Mike,

> So a standard TNC covers the Modem function, but how can I easily
generate
the APRS position packet ?

> Has anyone programmed a PIC to read GPS output and convert it APRS data
-
like a TinyTrak with Digital rather than Tone output. Alternatively get
Byon
to make 300 Baud an option for the TinyTrak.

I have programmed an Atmel AVR micro to decode the Motorola gps, and then
send the aprs formatted data out on both HF & VHF using a dual port TNC.
The data from the micro is feed into the TNC's serial port.

Its quite interesting to watch the HF and VHF icon's move around the map.

Let me know if you are interested and I will send you more info..

73
Warren