[OZAPRS] Running aprs in the car with a laptop

Alan Wallace (ZL1AMW) alan at wallace.net.nz
Wed Jul 23 19:53:24 EST 2003

I run a Compaq laptop from the car's 12v with no problems.  Just threw
away the (mostly defunct) cells in the battery box, and ran a wire out
the front.

I actually have an auxiliary battery in the boot, which runs the APRS
gear. This is parallel-connected to the car battery when the engine is
running.

This means I have a power source that can go flat (if I leave things
switched on to long when parked) without compromising getting home, but
that is charged when the car is travelling.

Some further info (in case you may be interested) - I run UI-View on the
laptop, with a Paccom pico-packet TNC, and when the programme exits it
sets up the TNC as a basic tracker, when the PC is running it uses the
TNC as a modem.  Quite handy so I can boot up the laptop on longer
trips, but use the tracker-only on round-town driving.

Alan Wallace ZL1AMW             Email: alan at wallace.net.nz
14 Acacia Cres                  Packet: ZL1AMW at ZL1UX.#20.NZL.OC
Hamilton
New Zealand.                    Phone +64 7 8438738
Talk Around the World - Amateur Radio -  www.amateur.radio.org.nz
UI-View - the fun way to enjoy amateur radio - www.zl1amw.wallace.net.nz