[OZAPRS] Who actually Operates HF APRS mobile do I have it alltomyself?

Chris Hill chris.hill at crhtelnet.com.au
Fri Dec 26 14:23:52 EST 2003

Hi Brian,

I like your idea of luck!

To my way of thinking, APRS needs a network AND operators.  Establishing a
network of HF APRS gateways is pointless without mobiles using them;
operating APRS mobile without gateways to listen, is also pointless.
Therefore, if you're lucky that there is the humble beginnings of a
national coverage HF APRS network for you to use, it's not a far stretch
of the imagination to say that the network (including sysops) are lucky
that they have you to listen to!  (I think this might be called a "win-win
situation").

APRS is definitely a chicken and egg situation.  Operators wont operate
APRS without a network to work into... and someone has to build the
network.  Due to the nature of HF propagation, it is imperative that APRS
on each HF band is co-ordinated on at least a national basis, if not an
international basis.  We need to carefully consider international
operations, and align with that as far as possible, taking into account
national bandplans and existing users of the spectrum (eg BBS operators).

I think we've all arrived at a good outcome for the 30m frequency;  now
that the frequency is clearly agreed and documented, and the gateways have
moved to that frequency, new HF APRS operators can program EPROMS, buy
crystals etc to get old commercial rigs operating there.

What we need to do next, is systematically work through each of the other
bands, and determine the best frequency to use (or state that there is no
APRS operation on that band), document it where people can find it, and
then establish a network to provide the desired coverage.

My personal interest at this stage is in establishing adequate HF coverage
of VK6 (33% of Australia).  To do so will require overlapping and
complimentary coverage to and from other states, so the aim really extends
to establishing adequate HF coverage of all of VK.

I, or other VK6 operators, will establish permanent HF gateways on the
nationally agreed frequencies.

Eventually, I may even use the network, as I take the family 4WD-ing.
Maybe September 2004?

Meanwhile, do you have any thoughts on moving 1kHz lower, to use the same
40m frequency as Europe is using?

73 Chris vk6kch