[OZAPRS] Concerned about 10.151Hhz LSB

Chris Hill chris.hill at crhtelnet.com.au
Wed Dec 3 04:09:25 EST 2003

Hi All,

My personal thoughts on operating on 10.151 MHz LSB :  "Don't do it!"

Instead, operate on 10.14x MHz USB...  it still means you will be
operating on the correct actual "tone" frequencies, and AX.25 packet's
NRZI encoding does NOT care whether the tones are sent USB or LSB...  just
the transitions are important.

Recipe for HF APRS happiness;
1.  Look up the specs on required spectral purity for out of band
transmissions (varies from one country to another, but at least -40dB or
better)
2.  Estimate (or measure) the Signal to Noise ratio of the audio you are
feeding from your TNC into your HF rig.  Don't forget to add power supply
noise, alternator whine, keying spurii from the modem chip, etc etc
3.  Say "Oh Oh!"
4.  Change from LSB to USB
5.  Change dial frequency from 10.151 MHz to 10.1481 MHz
6.  Smile - you're now on the international HF APRS frequency!  (Legally).

73 Chris vk6kch