[OZAPRS] APRS Wold Stats.

Richard Hoskin lhoskin at bigpond.com
Fri Aug 29 21:05:13 EST 2003

Hi,

For interest here is some information on the Size of APRS operations
around the world.

Cheers
Richard.
VK3JFK

Subject: Some Interesting Numbers
From: "AE5PL Lists" <HamLists at ametx.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:22:29 -0500

When Bob mentioned 20,000 hams on APRS, I was amazed.  A year ago we
were under 10,000 (according to some statistics I was gathering at the
time).  So I ran some queries against the posit database that I maintain
and this is what I came up with:

Over 1800 validated servers, clients, and IGates on APRS-IS
Over 1200 non-validated clients on APRS-IS
Over 19,000 RF stations seen on APRS-IS (no TCPIP or TCPXX in path)
489 stations with CW prefix (CWOP)

(Data collected over 10 day period at end of August 2003)

The good news is APRS is growing at a phenomenal rate.  The bad news is
APRS is growing at a phenomenal rate.  :-)  We all need to work together
(read "sans personal agendas") both on RF and on APRS-IS if this growth
in interest is to continue.  Paths, beacon rates, digi placements, IGate
placements, server placements and comprehensive IGate algorithms, server
algorithms, digi algorithms, etc. will all play a part in the success
(or non-success) of APRS as we go forward.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl.net=20