[OZAPRS] A Remote GPS.

Noel Rowe zl3gr at nzart.org.nz
Sun Nov 17 18:43:37 EST 2002

I have a need to reconstitute a mic-e encoded (compressed data) APRS
packet, to output it to a serial port as an NMEA
sentence.  What I need is in effect a "remote GPS" function.

This is a search and rescue operation by volunteers,  including several
radio amateurs.  The set up used is :-

(1) GPS on boat, feeding a TinyTrak1 V1.4  fitted inside a VHF marine
radio.
(2) The radio can also be used for voice, as a backup to another radio on
another channel. The data-after-voice feature is then used.
(3) VHF radio at control room on shore, with audio fed to a speaker, for
coms to boat, and also fed to a  PC soundcard input.
(4) AGW-pe software used to decode via the soundcard.
(5) UI-View32  is used to plot boat position.
(6) There is no data output PC to radio, this is an Rx only setup.

So far so good, works well.  But we need to run another program, as well
as
UI-View, and that program needs a GPS input at a serial port.  However the
GPS is remote in this case, out on the boat, but linked by radio.  At some
point in the chain listed above, we need a NMEA sentence representing the
one output from the boat GPS to appear at the base stations PC, directed
a serial port.

In our case, instead of looping two hardware serial ports, we will use a
virtual serial port, to loop back to the other program, set to the
appropriate serial port number.  This part is set up and all working.  We
just need to see NMEA GPS data.

Can anyone tell me how to achieve this?  Does software already exist?

Noel, ZL3GR.