[OZAPRS] VK2WAG and 2m Propagation into Adelaide

Tony Hunt wavetel at iname.com
Wed Nov 13 18:25:38 EST 2002

By the way.. The other day when we had some interesting band openings  One
of our digis VK5RMB to the East of Adelaide heard frames from VK2WAG Wagga
Igate at about 7am .. The frames went right through the Adelaide digi
network as a consequence.. Nearly 800km ..

The sigs may not have been strong enough for very long but I suspect we
would also have seen other stations over that way if the opening held for
long enough.. The 2WAG Igate would have been generating enough frames for
short period to make it workable..

I suspect we would see the VK3 traffic more often as well but they are on
another frequency unfortunately.. Incedently 144.900 is a BBS channel in
Adelaide and we could certainly check out heard lists on that Node.. I
just
looked but I missed the boat as the callsigns would have scrolled off the
list by now..

Makes me think.. I could setup a very short beacon similar to a Meteor
Mode
TX from 5RMB with NO digis on it or maybee with a Specific Digi on it like
VK2WAG or something over there..  Most of the traffic comming from 5RMB is
 3rd party traffic from the Igate and I suspect could be either unnoticed
or
equate to a Dupe..

I see VK2RO over there as well.. What frequency is that on ?? Its pretty
well on the border of VK3 by the looks..

Anybody intested in monitoring for it over there ??   Any ideas anybody..
Could be an interesting
VHF DX season..

Tony Hunt  VK5AH